Wednesday, February 25, 2009

New Look!

Sorry it has taken so long to post. The project we started of switching our children's rooms around took as much time and effort as I was expecting, and then a little more(ok, a lot more) time than I thought. But, good news! It is DONE! We are all so thrilled with the results. The children love their new bedrooms, and the parents do too! We love to go in and sit on their floor and just watch them play and enjoy their new space, and smell the new smell of fresh paint and new area rug-carpet smell. I will post some before shots, and after. Then you might appreciate the way we feel! We couldn't believe how beat up the walls were after almost 8 years(our builder recommended flat paint, and since we weren't familiar with paint back then, we painted flat. BIG MISTAKE!New rooms are now semi-gloss!) Shawn did all the wall repair work(mudding) and bed assembling, and I changed the closets around,painted, and decided where to put what! The kids ran around all excited about their rooms, with "Done yet??" all the time.

We bought the boys a triple bunk. It is a wonder. Such a space saver. They have room to sleep and play. Not to mention the new bunk is so much sturdier than the old one. I actually broke the weld on the last one when I tried to move it to take it out of their room. And did you notice Hannah's beautiful bed?(Thank you so much Grandma for the loan!) I was also sorta impressed with myself on Hannah's night stand. We tried a couple different things and had settled on a bar stool that matched her bed perfectly. Then (at 1:30 a.m.!), I was just finishing cleaning up the rest of the things in her room when I had the idea to turn her cedar sweater/shoe storage unit that we weren't going to use anymore into a night stand. I put the units front to bottom and fit them together with the add on pegs (for additional units, I bought these two at a yard sale for $5!). It looks so cute and matches perfectly. I put her horse statue in the bottom, and it appears like they are in a barn!We were hoping to get new carpet for both rooms since we originally started with pink and blue. Due to lack of funding, :-), we just used 2 large area rugs to cover most of the pink carpet for the boys (pink doesn't match John Deere too well), and kept blue for Hannah, which matches her bedspread and curtains anyway!Special thanks go to Aunt Angie for putting up the new border, Grandpa for use of his truck to bring home the triple bunk, Aunt Diana for the horse pictures and other misc. items, Grandma for the bed and Papa for delivering Hannah's new bed! I bet you can tell how excited we are by the length of this post! SO, back to the laundry pile that sorta piled up during this project!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!! GREAT work!! It looks beautiful. I can't wait to come and spend the night again, in one of their rooms....sorry, I can't split myself down the middle to be in 2 rooms at once ;) Looks like you had some good "family time" working at it together :) Luv, Dorth

Memories To Keep said...

You mean you don't want body surgery from my children Dorth? You recovered pretty well from brain surgery ~ ~
. .
...

Anyway, come anytime!

Anonymous said...

GOOD JOB Mom and Dad.
I love it.

LOVE
H